Location: Mississauga ON
Position: In-House Counsel
File Number: 2705
To support its continued growth, our client, a leader in the Canadian trucking industry, is looking for a "hands on" in-house counsel who will be responsible for a wide range of legal issues including customer and supplier contracts, labour/employment matters, equipment financing and real estate leasing matters. Reporting directly to the company's General Counsel, there will also be opportunities to assist with litigation matters and M&A projects.
In-house counsel will be instrumental in helping drive the business towards its goals with integrity while minimizing legal risk and protecting the company's interests. The successful candidate will be able to ensure legal compliance and limit risk exposure, while facilitating the execution of the business strategy as a practical and "hands on" partner to the management team dealing with a broad portfolio of complex legal areas.
- A minimum of 2+ years of experience as a lawyer in a law firm and/or in-house legal department settings, with experience in both settings strongly preferred
- Overall broad legal knowledge suitable for an in-house counsel position (commercial contracts, labour/ employment law, etc.)
- Experience with transportation and logistics industries a "plus" but not required
- Well-versed in how businesses operate with practical business sense and financial acumen
- Excellent judgment and analytical skills
- First class interpersonal and communication skills
- Creative and solutions-oriented with a practical side
- Effective in a dynamic and fluid corporate work environment - be as comfortable at the executive table as they are with customers, suppliers, drivers and administrative employees
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a "hands on" capacity
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks for various internal clients